Golf History

A Rich Club History

In 1957, Mr. John P. Baum called together a group of prominent locals to discuss the formation of a country club in Milledgeville. After many meetings, the gentlemen formed Lake Sinclair Corporation, and the planning and negotiations were underway for what was known then as Milledgeville Country Club. In 1959, the corporation purchased a 134-acre tract of land from Owen-Illinois Company at a cost of $21,918.38. Construction on the first 9 holes of the golf course and the clubhouse began in July of 1959, and the course hosted its first round of golf on September 10, 1960. In 1963, legendary golf course designer, George Cobb updated the course to 18-holes. In 2016, the Smith Family purchased the club and immediately began a multi-million-dollar renovation of all of the facilities. The club reopened in January of 2018 and has been well received by all who have had a chance to visit.